A very common statement used for acidity is “it is burning like a fireball placed in the stomach, keeps on burning”. The burning of stomach become worse after taking food but sometimes relieved after taking food for a short period of time and then starts again. Almost every other person is having acidity regardless of age. It is very distressing that you cannot enjoy the food you like because whatever you eat feels like you are adding fuel to fire factory. This burning sensation occurs due to excessive production of stomach secretions (acid) for food digestion which damages the inner side of stomach. Person describes his symptoms as
- A burning chest pain or discomfort
- Loss of the appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Belching, and bloating
- Change of mouth taste to water brash or sour taste of mouth
- It also affects sleep as when you lay down acid refluxes back from the stomach into the esophagus and cause burning sensation in throat results in coughing.
It is seen that changing trends of diet, frequent snacking and excessive use of medications are the prominent causes of burning in stomach.
It is wrong to say a food item is good or bad. All types of foods are beneficial in their own way but the art of a healthy life always lies in the BALANCE. The word “more or excess “is the dangerous one.
- As more spice and more fatty fried food is not the good choice.
- Only meat or only vegetable is not advisable at all. A combination of both is always beneficial.
Excessive usage of pain killers (ibuprofen, diclofenac) and some other drugs are the most common cause in modern days and can be controlled by using drugs which are more protective for the stomach.
How to manage acidity
Few simple lifestyle modifications can bring your taste back in your life
- A glass of water before you starts your daily regular meals. Benefits of drinking water before the meal is like a diamond, in between is like gold and at the end of a meal is like coal and hazardous for the stomach.
- Never fill your stomach to your mouth. Keep one part of your hunger for water, second for food and third for air so that food get mixed and digest easily in that space.
- A little walk of at least 40 steps after you take your meal is recommended. Do not lie down immediately after the meal.
- Avoid eating food 4 to 5 hours before your sleep.
- Use medications after prescribing by a medical practitioner and consult the doctor if you are having new burning symptoms after using any medication.
- A moderate amount of beverages and smoking is recommended in unavoidable cases.
- Turn towards right side when you are lying in your bed for sleep and Raise your head side a little elevated.
- Smoking and alcohol both are triggers for acidity.
You can try some simple home remedies for quick relief of burning.
- A teaspoonful of baking soda. soda bicarbonate immediately gives you relief of your burning. For hypertensive patients, it is not a good choice.
- A cup of green tea with few drops of lemon and mint leaves after the meal is very helpful and.
- One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in half cup of water is also helping in acidity.
- A half cup of Aloe Vera juice gives quick relief.
- Frequent use of yogurt in your diet keeps your stomach and bowel healthy.
When to consult doctor
In severe cases with frequent episodes of acidity, acid damages the stomach so badly that it can result in ulcer formation which requires medical treatment for healing. Ulcers can have serious outcomes but they are treatable effectively. If burning in epigastrium is not resolving, never delay your visit to a physician.